Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Scott and Football

Last fall I had a conversation with my oldest son which went something like this:

Scott (coming in from a day at school - first semester at Tech): Guess what I have been doing?
Me: Studying (that was my standard answer to this sort of question, but it was never the right one.....)
Scott: No, I've been kicking.
Me: Kicking what?
Scott: Kicking a football. I think I'm going to try out for the football team.
Me: THE Georgia Tech football team? Do you even know HOW to kick a football? (granted the child played soccer most of his life so I knew he could kick a ball - but putting a football between two posts was a little different especially between the posts for a NCAA Division I school)
Scott: I've been practicing and I think I'm pretty good.
Me (thinking to myself "yes all these people are right, my children are too sheltered"): Do you realize that this team actually recruits people to play - they PAY people to play and they play on TV?
Scott: Yes mom, but I can get the ball in pretty consistently.
Me (questioning whether he still even knows what he is doing but not wanting to shoot down his confidence and figuring this really would not work): OK

Well Scott kicked faithfully each week with some contraption he made with materials from Home Depot that he said simulated someone holding the ball. He went to spring walk-on tryouts and was told they were not taking kickers, but he could try-out in the fall. So he continued kicking and attended walk-on tryouts this morning at 6AM.

He called home around 10:30 and he had MADE the team!!!!!!!!

We are very proud of his diligence to accomplish this. I don't think we will be seeing him on TV or anything, but he is so happy to be part of this team. Congratulations Scott!!

1 comment:

The Lingo Clan said...

Whoah. Congrats, Scott! That is pretty awesome...

...is this when I'm supposed to ask for an autograph???

JL